A Brief History
1929 – Two ladies, students at Vancouver Bible Institute, came to Surrey every week to run a Sunday School in the Green Timbers area.
1930 – A piece of property was donated. A small building was build in only a single day west of Fraser Highway and 152nd street. The next day, Sunday School was in session. It was called Green Timbers Mission. At 104 and 156th another Sunday School started in the home of Mr. & Mrs. Anhorn whose children served as Sunday School teachers. They built a small building on their property and called it the Hjorth Road Mission.
Both missions grew into churches. They both hired part-time pastors – Charles Sinclair [Hjorth Rd Church] & Robert Young [Green Timbers Church]. Both churches joined the Evangelical Free Denomination in the mid 1950’s.
1958 – Both Green Timbers Church and Hjorth Road Church merged to form Johnston Heights Evangelical Free Church. A property was found at 152nd and 96th in Surrey which was at that time in the midst of a forest. The property cost $6,000 and it was paid off at a rate of $50/month. The groundbreaking of the first building was April 4, 1958. The first service was held October 19, 1958. Along with Pastor Sinclair who served as interim Pastor, there were 56 members in the newly formed congregation.
1968 – The first building became too small so a new one was completed in 1969 with the first service being held on December 17, 1969.
1979 – The education wing was constructed to merge the first and second buildings together.
For nearly 60 years Johnston Heights Church has continued to reach out to the community, and has grown along with Surrey. Nearly 700 people call Johnston Heights Church their home today.